Technip Energies has been awarded a substantial contract by TotalEnergies and OQ for the Marsa LNG bunkering project in Oman.

The contract is valued between $532 million and $1.1 billion, Technip Energies said on April 22.

The contract covers the engineering, procurement and construction of a natural gas liquefaction train with an LNG production capacity of 1 million tonnes per annum. The plant will use electric-driven motors instead of conventional gas turbines and will be powered by renewable electricity from a nearby solar farm. The energy from the solar farm will cover 100% of the annual power consumption of the LNG plant. The LNG produced will notably be used as a marine fuel to reduce the sipping industry’s carbon footprint.

TotalEnergies holds an 80% stake in the Marsa LNG project, while OQ holds the remaining 20%.