Exploratory Completed in Offshore Guyana’s Kanuku License by Tullow

Drilling Activity Details



Post Date
Shore Type
Well Name
Geo Coordinate

Drilling Activity Summary


In offshore Guyana’s Kanuku license, London-based Tullow Oil completed exploration well #1-Carapa. According to the company, it encountered approximately 4 m of net oil pay, and preliminary results of drilling, wireline logging, pressure testing and sampling of reservoir fluid indicate the discovery of oil in Upper Cretaceous age sandstone reservoirs. The test suggests the extension of the Cretaceous oil play from the Stabroek license southward into the Kanuku license. While net pay is lower than pre-drill forecasts, the oil quality supports the potential of the Cretaceous play on both the Kanuku and adjacent Orinduik licenses. The well was drilled to 3,290 m and is in 68 m of water. It will be plugged and abandoned. Repsol and Tullow both hold a 75% stake in the block, and Total holds the remaining 25%.