Wood will handle the detailed engineering for the topsides for Woodside Energy’s Trion semisubmersible destined for Mexican waters in the Gulf of Mexico (GoM), Wood announced Jan. 8.

Wood won the topsides detailed engineering contract from HD Hyundai Heavy Industries. HD Hyundai Heavy Industries is the engineering, procurement and construction provider for the floating production unit (FPU). Wood's latest award follows the delivery of the Trion pre-FEED and FEED design.

The FPU will be able to produce 100,000 bbl/d and connect to a floating storage and offloading unit with a capacity of nearly 1 MMbbl.

The greenfield development is in 2,500 m water depth.

Wood’s teams in Houston and Bogota will deliver the detailed topsides design work for the FPU project over the next three years. In the last decade, Wood has designed more than 50% of topside facilities in the GoM today, the company said.

Woodside sanctioned the $7.2 billion Trion project in June 2023, with production expected to begin in 2028. Pemex discovered the field in 2012 and five years later, Pemex and BHP Petroleum agreed to jointly develop the reserves. Woodside took over the project when it purchased BHP in June 2022.

Woodside operates the Trion project with 60% interest on behalf of partner Pemex, which holds the remaining 40% interest.