On the eve of Hart Energy’s first in-person event in more than a year, DUG Haynesville, Jack Belcher, principal at Cornerstone Government Affairs, continues his Energy Policy Watch series by talking with Louisiana Congressman Rep. Garret Graves (R-6th).
Graves, who has been integral in setting oil and gas policy for quite some time, sits in a unique position as the ranking member on the House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis as a Republican. He took time out of his busy schedule to talk about that and the issues concerning the natural gas-rich state as we enter into the energy transition.
“A lot of folks when they hear the climate change term run the other way and I totally disagree,” he said. “I think it’s a flawed strategy and I’ve been pushing the opposite. I think we hit it head on.”
“And let me tell you why ... the facts are on our side,” he explained adding that it is the U.S. that has led the world in reducing emissions and investment in energy research and development.
“These are things we need to be proud of,” he said.
- Challenges from the administration (1:52)
- Minimizing the damage to the oil and gas industry (2:53)
- Public disconnect on natural gas and policy (4:41)
- An American-based clean energy future (6:23)
- Policy that damages the offshore industry (7:07)
- Energy independence (8:11)
- Climate Crisis committee and opportunities (9:44)
- Paris Accord’s ‘dirty secret’ (10:50)
- Technology’s role in meeting clean energy goals (15:40)
- Energy research and development strategy (17:50)
- Infrastructure bill’s impact on oil and gas (18:55)
- Keystone XL shutdown / Colonial cyberattack (20:30)
- Nord Stream 2 sanctions (21:30)
- Vulnerability of cyberattacks (23:00)
Energy Policy Watch is a partnership between Hart Energy and Cornerstone to bring regular video updates on legislative and regulatory actions affecting the energy industry. Guests range from key representatives or congressional staff to relevant cabinet-level officials and executive branch personnel. View More Energy Policy Watch Episodes Here.
2022-08-16 - Oil and gas producers will see new taxes and fees and their effective cash tax rates rise to 15% compared to other sectors, such as a 5% increase for tech.
2022-08-03 - U.S. Senator Joe Manchin said Aug. 1 that he secured a commitment from President Joe Biden, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi to allow the long-delayed Mountain Valley to be completed.
2022-06-02 - According to Kinder Morgan CEO Steven Kean, day rates for vessels moving oil and refined products between U.S. ports increased after the U.S. banned Russian oil and product imports in March.
2022-05-31 - The move allows PacifiCorp, a unit of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc., to start building the line, which will run from southwest Wyoming through Colorado to central Utah.
2022-07-06 - Any major disruption to the CPC would put further strain on the global oil market which is facing one of its the worst supply crunches since the Arab oil embargo in the 1970s.