Up to 500 Exploration Wells Planned In Barmer Basin, India

Drilling Activity Details



Post Date
Geo Coordinate

Drilling Activity Summary


Cairn Energy Plc announced plans to drill about 500 new exploration wells in India’s Barmer Basin in Rajasthan. Seismic surveys have been completed between Gudamalani and Shiv Tehsil and the initial wells will be drilled in this area. The wells are to be drilled to sustain and augment oil production in Rajasthan. According to the Edinburgh, Scotland-based company, it is currently producing 200 Mbbl per day of oil from the basin. The additional production will increase the output to about 300 Mbbl per day. Cairn owns 70% interest in partnership with Oil and Natural Gas Corp. holding the remaining 30%.