Drilling rig contractor Transocean Ltd. (NYSE: RIG) said on Sept. 4 it would acquire peer Ocean Rig UDW Inc. (NASDAQ: ORIG) in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $2.7 billion, including debt.
The deal will help Switzerland-based Transocean enhance its fleet of ultra-deepwater and harsh environment floating rigs.
“The combination of constructive and stable oil prices over the last several quarters, streamlined offshore project costs, and undeniable reserve replacement challenges has driven a material increase in offshore contracting activity,” Transocean CEO Officer Jeremy Thigpen said.
Transocean will pay 1.6128 newly issued shares and $12.75 in cash for each share of Ocean Rig’s common stock for a total implied value of $32.28 per Ocean Rig share, which represents a premium of 19.2% to the stock’s close Aug. 31.
Upon completion, Transocean shareholders will own about 79% of the combined company, while Ocean Rig shareholders will hold the remaining 21%.
Citi was Transocean’s financial adviser, while Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC advised Ocean Rig.
2023-10-30 - Here’s a roundup of the latest E&P headlines, including the gas export concept solution for Goliat and subsea equipment delivered for Shenzi North.
2023-09-25 - Here’s a roundup of the latest E&P headlines, including field development milestones and new contract awards.
2023-10-09 - Here’s a roundup of the latest E&P headlines, including go-ahead for production at Tommeliten A and decommissioning at Dunlin Alpha, along with new contract awards.
2023-11-27 - Here’s a roundup of the latest E&P headlines, including contract awards and BSEE’s report on the May 2021 fatality in Eugene Island Block 158 in the Gulf of Mexico.
2023-09-18 - Here’s a roundup of the latest E&P headlines, including an awarding of blocks from Lease Sale 259 and the start of production from a new well.