Royal Dutch Shell Plc, one of the world's largest LNG suppliers, has asked U.S. regulators to extend the time by which it should complete an LNG export project in Louisiana by five years to 2025, regulatory filings showed.
The project, a 50-50 venture with U.S. midstream company Energy Transfer LP, envisaged converting an existing import and regasification facility in Lake Charles into a multi-train, 16.45 million tonnes per year facility.
The delay takes a major U.S. export project out of the race to achieve a final investment decision (FID) in time to start operations during an anticipated supply downturn in 2023-2024.
About a dozen projects in North America, mostly in the Gulf of Mexico, are vying for FID this year or early next year to start production in time to hit that sweetspot. But the more get approved, the less likely other projects are to go ahead as the expected dearth turns into oversupply.
The delay is due to Shell's takeover of the project after its $53 billion acquisition of BG Group in 2016 prompted it to re-evaluate and strike new agreements, the Anglo-Dutch company said in a letter dated Aug. 30 to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
It said following this process, the project plans had not changed but a new 50-50 ownership structure with Energy Transfer had been struck and Shell had committed to taking 50% of the export capacity.
"Under the new project framework agreement, [Energy Transfer] and Shell have established a detailed process for the development of the project which includes milestones that are expected to result in the project sponsors reaching FID as early as the end of 2020," it said in the letter.
"Completion of construction of the LNG export terminal facility is expected to occur as early as the second half of 2025."
U.S. crude oil production is expected to fall by 600,000 bbl/d in 2020 to 11.63 million bbl/d, the EIA said July 7, a smaller decline than the 670,000 bbl/d it forecast previously.
The RRC said July 6 it issued 312 drilling permits in June, compared to 1,001 in June 2019.
Brazilian oil major Petrobras said July 7 it has started to decommission its platform P-12 in the Campos Basin after receiving permission from the Navy and environment and oil agencies.