HOUSTON—NextDecade Corp. said Oct. 6 that it had developed proprietary processes using proven technology to reduce carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) emissions at its proposed Rio Grande LNG facility by approximately 90%. NextDecade is also exploring options to address the remaining emissions to enable Rio Grande LNG to achieve carbon-neutrality.
Throughout the course of NextDecade’s pre-FID development activities, and intensively in recent months, the company has evaluated multiple technical solutions to ascertain the commercial viability of dramatically reducing CO2e emissions at Rio Grande LNG.
Based on these evaluations, NextDecade has determined that carbon capture and storage (CCS) is the most feasible technical solution for Rio Grande LNG. The company believes that the addition of proven CCS technology in conjunction with its proprietary processes could reduce the CO2e emissions of its Rio Grande LNG facility by approximately 90%. While NextDecade advances its work in this area, it is also exploring options to address the remaining (approximately 10%) of CO2e emissions.
“Natural gas has a critical role to play in the global energy transition to a low-carbon economy, ensuring the security of energy supplies and preserving high quality jobs in the United States and around the world,” said Matt Schatzman, NextDecade’s chairman and CEO. “Our work to date confirms that reliable, competitively priced LNG and responsible environmental stewardship are not mutually exclusive. A solution that promises both is indeed eminently feasible with the thoughtful use of existing technologies and the application of our proprietary processes.”
NextDecade continues to work on remaining commercial agreements needed to achieve a final investment decision in 2021, enabled by flexible commercial offerings and leadership in environmental and social performance including targeting carbon-neutrality at Rio Grande LNG.
DNV: Cybersecurity Fears Rise on Hacktivism, Geopolitics
2023-06-06 - Geopolitical uncertainty, regulatory environment represent drivers of increased investment in cybersecurity in the energy sector, according to a DNV report.
Halliburton Launches National Data Repository for Norwegian Petroleum Directorate
2023-06-01 - Halliburton’s Diskos 2.0 National Data Repository is equipped to handle over 28 petabytes of E&P data for the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate.
New Bit Fills Need for Drilling Speed, While Tool Brings MPD Onshore
2023-05-30 - A faster bit and an integrated MPD system aim to improve onshore drilling.
SUPER DUG: Universal Pressure Pumping Threads the Digital Needle [WATCH]
2023-05-26 - Universal Pressure Pumping's Jeff Beach sat down with Hart Energy's Jennifer Pallanich at SUPER DUG to talk about working towards threading the digital needle and the advantages of a dual-fuel system.
Solving the Sludge Problem
2023-05-25 - Greentech company Envorem’s new waste management technology offers sustainable and cheap sludge solutions.