DUBAI—Britain’s seizure of an Iranian oil tanker off Gibraltar last week will not be “unanswered,” Iran’s armed forces chief of staff, Maj. Gen. Mohammad Bagheri, said on July 9, according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency.
“Capture of the Iranian oil tanker based on fabricated excuses ... will not be unanswered and when necessary Tehran will give appropriate answer,” Bagheri said.
British Royal Marines boarded the ship, Grace 1, off the coast of Gibraltar on July 4 and seized it over accusations it was breaking sanctions by taking oil to Syria.
Iran has demanded the immediate release of the oil tanker, while an Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander threatened on July 5 to seize a British ship in retaliation.
Construction on Mariner East 2 and Revolution is stopped until Revolution is in compliance; Mariner East 1 remains out of service due to sinkhole issue.
Safeguards considered a blow to country’s oil industry.
Judge Richard Gergel of the U.S. District Court in South Carolina issued the decision in response to a motion filed by a range of conservation and business groups and coastal cities opposed to the administration’s efforts to expand U.S. offshore drilling.