Shell Offshore Inc. started production at PowerNap, a subsea development in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico, the company announced in a press release on March 29.

PowerNap is a tieback to the Olympus production hub in the Mars Corridor with an estimated peak production of 20,000 boe/d. Discovered by Shell in 2014, it has three production wells produced through a single insulated 19-mile flowline and high-pressure gas lift capability.

“Shell has been producing in the Mars Corridor for more than 25 years, and we continue to find ways to unlock even more value there,” Zoe Yujnovich, upstream director at Shell, said in the press release. “PowerNap strengthens a core upstream position that is critical to achieving our 'Powering Progress' strategy and ensuring we can supply the stable, secure energy resources the world needs today and in the future.”

Shell operates Olympus with a 71.5% working interest, with BP controlling the remaining 28.5%. Production from the tieback will be transported to market on the Mars pipeline, which is operated by Shell Pipeline Company LP and co-owned by Shell Midstream Partners, LP (71.5%) and BP Midstream Partners LP (28.5%).

In alignment with Shell's "Powering Progress" mission of powering lives and achieving net-zero emissions, its U.S. Gulf of Mexico production produces among the lowest greenhouse-gas intensity in the world in comparison to other International Association of Oil and Gas Producers members.