ESG has become a hot topic for oil and gas companies in recent years and its importance is not going away anytime soon, according to Wil VanLoh, founder and CEO of Quantum Energy Partners.
“If our industry is going to continue to attract capital we’re really going to have to up our game as far as ESG reporting,” VanLoh told Hart Energy during a virtual roundtable with Pam Lacey, chief regulatory counsel at the American Gas Association, and John Ale, retired senior vice president and general counsel for Southwestern Energy.
The roundtable, hosted by Hart Energy’s Len Vermillion and Jessica Morales, discussed the oil and gas industry’s position on ESG: What work has been done, how do we advance the dialogue to get industry companies on the same page and are we taking advantage of the opportunity to spread a better message to investors and the public?
The discussion touches on all of those topics and opinions differ. Watch the conversation to hear panelists address it all.
Jump to a topic:
- Companies & investors on ESG reporting (0:35)
- What’s necessary to include (8:32)
- What to report to potential investors (10:43)
- Difference between larger and smaller companies (17:27)
- Examples of handling ESG reporting properly (21:38)
- An opportunity for the industry (27:09)
- Unified standard of ESG reporting (29:55)
- Difference between oil and gas producers? (33:07)
- Service company’s role in ESG (36:00)
- Technology’s role (38:00)
- Industry’s path Forward (42:55)
2023-01-30 - The upsized equity commitment and establishment of an RBL come as Double Eagle ramps up its development pace in the Permian Basin, including the recent addition of two drilling rigs.
2022-11-15 - Shares drop following reports that U.S. hedge fund Muddy Waters had taken a short position on the Alaska-focused E&P company.
2022-11-16 - Diamondback Energy’s president and CFO, Kaes Van’t Hof, spoke to Hart Energy about the return of the “mythical generalist investor” plus what’s next for the Permian company after closing its recent $1.6 billion acquisition.
2022-11-18 - Diamondback, Marathon Oil and Devon have dominated second-half M&A thanks to higher EBITDA multiples and yields than smaller E&P competitors can offer.
2022-11-22 - The deal includes Clearfield, Elk and McKean counties, Pennsylvania, assets with current net production averaging about 17 MMcf/d.