Editor's note: This article appears in the special OTC edition of the E&P newsletter. Subscribe here.
View more highlights at Hart Energy's Drilling Activity database.
In Alaminos Canyon Block 857, Houston-based Shell Oil Co. completed a Middle Miocene well. The #0GB007S0B OCS G17571 was drilled to 23,300 ft and produced 3,513 bbl of 35.5°API oil, with 2.12 MMcf/d of gas. Production is from a perforated zone between 19,813 ft and 20,967 ft. It was tested on a 57/64-inch choke with a flowing tubing pressure of 2,779 psi. Additional completion information is not currently available.
ConocoPhillips announced a new gas condensate discovery in the Norwegian Sea in PL1009, Block 6507/4, near Victoria Field and northwest of Heidrun Field. The Warka discovery well, #6507/4-1, was drilled in 399 m of water to 4,985 m. Preliminary estimates indicate the discovery holds between 50 MMboe and 190 MMboe of recoverable gas condensate. The primary and secondary exploration targets for the well were to prove petroleum in reservoir rocks from the Albian and Aptian ages and in the early Intra Lange sandstones (Cretaceous). In the primary exploration target, the well hit a 27-m gas column in sandstone layers in Lange with moderate but uncertain reservoir quality. No gas-water contact or reservoir rocks were encountered in the secondary target. Additional appraisal work is planned. After completion, the rig will be moved to drill exploration well #6507/5-10S (Slagugle) in PL891, north-northeast of Heidrun Field. Houston-based ConocoPhillips is the operator of the lPL1009, Block 6507/4 and the discovery well with 65% interest, with partner PGNiG holding the remaining 35%.
London-based BP is underway at exploration well #1-Ironbarkl in exploration permit WA-359-P in the Carnarvon Basin. The offshore Western Australia venture will be drilled in about 300 m of water and will test the Ironbark gas prospect, which has a best estimate of 15 Tcf prospective recoverable gas resources. The primary target is the Deep Mungaroo at approximately 5,335 m. Several additional reservoir objectives within the same formation will also be tested. The operator is planning an extensive LWD program, and it will be plugged and abandoned following the completion of operations. Joint venture partners are bp(42.5%), Cue Energy (21.5%), Beach Energy (21%) and New Zealand Oil & Gas (15%).
Chevron Corp.announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement with Anadarko Petroleum Corp. to acquire all of the outstanding shares of Anadarko in a stock and cash transaction valued at $33 billion, or $65 per share.
Oil price volatility has helped cast A&D markets adrift leaving many E&P companies in a “no-wind” scenario.
Analysts had plenty to say about Pioneer Natural Resources’s Eagle Ford asset sale to Ensign Natural Resources.