TAG Oil Exploratory To Test Tikorangi Limestone In New Zealand

Drilling Activity Details


New Zealand

Post Date
Well Name
Geo Coordinate

Drilling Activity Summary


TAG Oil Ltd. is underway at exploration well #1-Pukatea in onshore New Zealand’s North Island on the Puka Permit (PEP51153). The primary objective of #1-Pukatea is the deep Tikorangi Limestone, which will be drilled to 10,401 ft. The well-site is adjacent to the Waihapa oil field that has produced more than 23 MMbbl from Tikorangi Limestone. According to the Vancouver-based company, individual wells produced up to 5 Mbbl of oil per day. In addition to the Tikorangi Limestone, the venture will also test the shallower Mt. Messenger. TAG Oil is the operator of the Puka Permit, PEP51153 and #1-Pukatea with 70% interest in partnership with Melbana Energy holding the remaining 30%.