Oil Discovery in Southern Gulf of Suez Flows More Than 2,000 bbl of Oil per Day

Drilling Activity Details



Post Date
Shore Type
Well Name
Geo Coordinate

Drilling Activity Summary


Cheiron completed an oil discovery in Egypt's southern Gulf of Suez at exploration well #4-GNN in the Geisum & Tawila West Concession. The venture was drilled to test the prospect, and initially flowed more than 2,000 bbl of oil per day. It was drilled from the Geisum D platform. The discovery contains and estimated 260 MMbbl of oil in place. Two additional wells are planned from the D platform in the southern area of the discovery and later, the development focus will shift to the northern area of the discovery. The completion is the first to be made in Nukhul in the Geisum area and will open up further exploration potential, both within the concession and in the neighboring acreage. Cairo-based Cheiron holds a 60% operating interest in partnership with Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company holding the remaining 40%.